Why isn’t the water main part of what the grant is paying for?

The grant fund is through the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).  Grant funds provided through the FHWA are intended to cover project costs related to highways to move traffic (e.g., pavement, curbs, storm sewers to drain the highway, bridges). Water mains are not considered essential in the movement of traffic and have not been eligible for grant funding through the FHWA.